In 1984 Lincoln City Council took an interest in No. 5 and decided to have it restored to as near original condition as possible. As no drawings were available for the body, the whole reconstruction of the bodywork carried out by the Building Department was done using what remained of the body as patterns and from photographs, and full credit must be given to everyone who has assisted with this work. Mechanical restoration involved the reconditioning of the units by the Transport Department using a similar chassis (Midland General, Lion LT1 / Leyland B30F 1929 VO 2556, new to Swain, Skegby) bought as a source of spares, as several items were missing from No 5’s chassis.
A few modifications to the original specification – including the provision of an offside emergency exit, direction indicators and a tachograph – were made to bring the bus to full (1980s) PSV standard, and No. 5 returned to revenue earning service on the streets of Lincoln – being used for City tours and private hires – at the age of 56.