Over 5,200 Lodekkas were produced between 1954 and 1969, Lincolnshire Road Car taking delivery of 136 new examples including 12 forward entrance, 30 ft long (‘FLF’) models. It is likely that far more could have been sold, but the model was only available to nationalised bus companies, both Bristol and Eastern Coach Works having been nationalised under the British Transport Commission in the late 1940s. From 1958, Dennis produced the similar ‘Loline’ for the open market under licence from Bristol.
No. 2318 is fitted with a Bristol AVW engine (6 cylinders, 8.2 Litres) and a 5 speed overdrive “crash” gearbox, also of Bristol manufacture, it operated mainly from the Skegness and (now closed) Boston depots before withdrawal in 1973, by which time it was one of the last remaining ‘LD’ models in service – most by this time were the later 60 seat ‘FS’ type.
No. 2318 was acquired for preservation by Mr Vincent LeTall, and with the rest of his collection, was bequeathed to the Society.